Re: [tlug] Missing kanji

    Larry> I have a question about that.  I recently was told by a
    Larry> Japanese coworker that there are some kanji, apparently
    Larry> derived from handwriting, which don't appear in the
    Larry> standard fonts/glyphs.

The "taka" in Takashimaya, which is not in Unicode AFAICT although the
JIS version (JIS kuten 2566, U+9AD8) and an intermediate form
(non-JIS, U+9AD9) are both in Unicode.  I believe that the Takashimaya
glyph is considered a variant form of U+9AD9 in all standards, and in
JIS U+9AD9 is unified into U+9AD8.

    Larry> My specific problem with this is that I've got a UTF-8
    Larry> database, web-driven, into which this glyph should be
    Larry> entered.  And, yes, it has to be that specific glyph.

Talk to the folks at the CHISE project; I wouldn't be surprised if
they've got a code for you.  They've already got the whole Daikanwa,
mapped into ISO 10646 (1993) private space.  I don't think it's
Unicode compatible though (ie, it's not representable in UTF-16 space,
even with surrogates).  (It wasn't when I last looked, but that was
about 3 years ago.)  If it's not there, it's probably somewhere in the
CNS 11643 set (but finding anything in that mess is, well, painstaking).

http://www.kanji.zinbun.kyoto-u.ac.jp/projects/chise/
tomo@example.com (守岡知彦 / MORIOKA Tomohiko)

    Larry> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  My current
    Larry> inclination is to toss all of the kanji out the door and
    Larry> use Romaji, but I expect that would be a Bad Idea. =)

Very.