Re: [tlug] HDD Reliability

>(So does Maxtor, though I haven't personally seen any evidence of defects in
>their design, only in their documentation and support.

My own experience with Maxtor has come in the form of original equipment
supplier to most of the old Dell computers I've bought.  I haven't had
any of them fail on me, but they have been so noisy (a constant and
rather loud "eeeeeeeeee" white noise) that I found it physically tiring
to have them on.  When I put a Seagate 80GB drive in one of them, it was
like magic!  Suddenly that noise was gone!

Agggghhhhh!  No sooner had I typed the above, than my 120GB IBM/Hitachi
drive made that weird sporadic noise it makes.... a kind of high pitched
groan - which sounds like a contradiction in terms, but it's a higher
pitch than you would associate with a typical "groan" and not so high to
only call high pitched.  It's weird - and scary.  I guess I should try
to record it (the actual sound I mean).