Re: [tlug] HDD Reliability

Josh Glover wrote:
> Quoth Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon
>
> > And - folks in TLUG - this is one
> > of the things that infuriates me about the big bloody M - while those...
> > those... *******'s are raking in money hand over fist, the hardware
> > manufacturers have been hurting.

Besides which, Microsoft is responsible for more destruction of data on the
hard disks of people who obeyed the instructions, than failures by all of
the hard disk manufacturers put together.

> Also, companies like IBM have economies of scale, which makes it possible
> for them to maintain profitability (probably) on manufacturing and selling
> hard drives.

Is that why IBM sold their hard drive division to Hitachi?

Of course IBM deserved to be sued.  So does Toshiba.

(So does Maxtor, though I haven't personally seen any evidence of defects in
their design, only in their documentation and support.  Maxtor attached two
sets of instructions with different jumpering instructions, and they
couldn't even tell me which set of instructions was correct.  I had to make
a guess before the store's return policy expired.  Fortunately I guessed
right.  I didn't use the set of instructions which would normally be used by
most Maxtor customers in Japan.)