[tlug] Missing kanji [was: japanese encoding question]

On Wednesday, February 25, 2004, at 12:38  PM, David Oftedal wrote:
> At least Unicode has all the needed kanji these days...

(Carefully keeping in mind threading, etc. =)

I have a question about that.  I recently was told by a Japanese
coworker that there are some kanji, apparently derived from
handwriting, which don't appear in the standard fonts/glyphs.
Unfortunately, I can't given an example, except that it's similar to
ones in Unicode as well as in SJIS, etc.  A specific example is a
person's name, and it deviates from the norm (a "variant glyph", I
suppose).

The current solution to handle this, on a M$ box, is to create the
glyph by hand, map that to an unused character, and it then shows up on
screen, in print, but only for that particular M$ box.  This is,
unfortunately, a bit difficult to handle when moved into a
collaborative, distributed environment, across multiple platforms.

My specific problem with this is that I've got a UTF-8 database,
web-driven, into which this glyph should be entered.  And, yes, it has
to be that specific glyph.  My current thoughts are that there has to
be some sort of mechanism by which a "new" glyph could be created and
shared across systems, without editing a font or something, but I'm at
a loss for exactly what might be done.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  My current inclination
is to toss all of the kanji out the door and use Romaji, but I expect
that would be a Bad Idea. =)

Larry Stanbery, RHCE
GPG Key ID: 2CEFA662