Re: [tlug] NTT b-flex is slow!

On Sunday 22 February 2004 20:22, Jonathan Byrne wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 07:14:14PM +0900, gavin wrote:
> >I did a speed check @ www.bspeedtest.jp and my results were shocking I was
> >getting 2.9Kbps! wtf....  I know that I'm not going to get 100Mbps
>
> Question one: Was this measured from your firewall or from one of the
> workstations connected to the hub?  If it was not measured from your
> firewall, please run the test again from there and see what you get.
>
> If it's fast from the firewall box but not from the machines behind
> it, then you know it's something on your internal network.
>
> If it's slow from everywhere, then it could be either your firewall
> box or a problem outside.
>
> Please check your logs on the firewall box for anything that looks odd.
> If you find anything that might be related, post some log snippets
> here.
>
> Also, does everything seem that slow, or was the speed test particularly
> bad?  Do  you see speeds like that on FTP or HTTP downloads, for example?
> If you run any streaming media, VoIP, etc, is the quality very poor or does
> it seem OK?
>all down loads seem to be done at normal speeds, an I'm not running VoIP
> Jonathan

Jonathan,

I did some checking, I first did a direct connect to my notebook and got
15.1Mbps. . I re-installed a new fw box w/ a 300MHz K-6 chip and 128k,
running smoothwall 2.0  Ran the test again and got between 1.7Mbps and 2.9.
I'm guessing the hub now.. but how can I really check if the hub is going
bad? my hub is a corega FSW-8A 5 port switching hub. I really lost on this
one..