Re: [tlug] SevenFilesFromOneOpnOf?

> I use Open Office for writing and I am able to open files in one of two
> ways - either by opening a blank page and opening the file from within
> OpenOffice, or by dragging the file I want to open over to an OpenOffice
> Icon sitting on the desktop.  But, if I just double-click on one of the
> files I've made with OpenOffice Writer, it opens a new folder with seven
> (seven!) separate files!  What's that about and can I make the files
> openable just by clicking on them?  I'm using Suse 9.0.
Open Office is based on XML and is stored in a ZIP format as per the
standard.  The seven files are various representations.  One is the base
text, others deal with presentation and other features.  It really is
pretty cool (esp if you have ever had to recover a hosed .doc file and
should the same happen to the new formats get messed you can find if the
text is recoverable  via one file rather than coping with all that
binary crud)

	Get ready for the wave of the future the same format is being used in
furute releases of many other office suites (Koffice and a few others
have signed on) and is a continuing developement to ensure document
integration and cross platform usability (any wonder MS signed out and
said no)
--
David Blomberg
AIS, APS, ASE, CCNA, LCP, LCA, Linux+, LPI I, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, RHCE, Server+