Re: [tlug] Don't Hijack Threads/OO.org MIME types

On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 10:51:43AM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>    jb> you have instead hijacked a thread yourself.
>
>That's true but harshly stated.  He did change the subject.

Uhhh, isn't that how we usually define thread hijacking?

>Nor did Martin hijack the thread.  He followed up to a specific
>comment that I made (which was apropos in its context of the
>self-introduction thread), and properly changed the subject.

I had to go back and look at the initial self-intro, and there
was nothing in it about Python or any other programming language,
so I have to disagree that it was apropos to the self-intro.  By the
time it became apropos, the thread had already been hijacked into
a linguistics thread.  Martin just re-hijacked it by changing the
subject again.

>In a group like TLUG, and in Lyle's particular case, I agree that
>starting fresh was mandatory.  But that is assuming the technical
>knowledge of how threading works---ie, the RFC 2822 In-Reply-To and
>References headers.  Recent Windows/Mac escapees should be assumed NOT
>to have it, because unless they're using X?Emacs, they don't have a
>decent MUA available.  roy lo deserves the treatment he got; he's had

Even Outhouse Excess does threading, does it not?

I have to disagree on Lyle's deserving it.  It's not like he hasn't
seen other people be told not to do it, including very recently (Roy).
He deserves a far bigger kick in the arse than he got, since he can't
even differentiate betweeen being told an idea is stupid (it was) and
being told *he* is stupid.

> (and what's wrong with your MUA, can't you >inline screenshots or
> cut'n'paste from the summary display?! ;-)

No, I use a proper MUA, thank you very much ;-)

>Anyway, what really should be available (and is not, in _any_ MUA I
>know of including Gnus) are manual thread-manipulation commands.  Cf

Yeah, that would be nice indeed.  I may have to put a feature request in
to mutt on that.

Jonathan
--
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys ACC46EF9
Key fingerprint = E52E 8153 8F37 74AF C04D  0714 364F 540E ACC4 6EF9