Re: [tlug] Linux in Pakistan (WAS: some hijacked thread)

OK, I'm going to break this out of the hijacked thread.

On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 08:58:42AM +0500, A. Sajjad Zaidi wrote:

>could see of using Debian was apt-get. Other than that, it was just too
>old and conservative.

Read "As stable as FreeBSD" (or pretty darned close :-)

>For desktops, Mandrake was a contender, but it seemed to have the same
>stability and other issues it had a few years ago

It still does.  You avoided the path to the dark side of Linux.
I finally got my dad to stop using Mandrake and he is enjoying much better
stability and far fewer problems on SuSE.  It's also a bit less gooey than
Mandrake, so he might actually have to learn something now :-)

>You mean Solaris? :-)

No, it was something far more frigthtening ;-)

>By diversification, I mean providing internet access and similar
>services

So you're running an ISP on the side?  What's the state of DSL and/or cable
in Pakistan?  What kind of ISP services are you providing?

Jonathan
--
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys ACC46EF9
Key fingerprint = E52E 8153 8F37 74AF C04D  0714 364F 540E ACC4 6EF9