Re: [tlug] SevenFilesFromOneOpnOf?

(sorry couldn't find the original post to reply to)

Jonathan Byrne wrote:

>Just out of curiosity, what where the technical or other considerations
>behind choosing Slackware and Fedora?

I needed a server distro to replace RH7.3 and the only plus point I
could see of using Debian was apt-get. Other than that, it was just too
old and conservative.

The only other big "server" distro I could see was Slackware and I liked
the simplicity it provided.

For desktops, Mandrake was a contender, but it seemed to have the same
stability and other issues it had a few years ago. Fedora just worked
for me.

>I hope that doesn't mean doing work on that other operating system.
>The horror! The horror! ;-)

You mean Solaris? :-)
Yes, we're officially supporting that and *BSD though there haven't been
any demands for those yet.

By diversification, I mean providing internet access and similar
services that don't exactly come under system administration. At most,
we'll do development (still on Linux) for Windows, but nothing more than
that.

--
A. Sajjad Zaidi
Sr.System Administrator