Re: [tlug] EMailClients/BackingUpEMailFiles

On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 11:46:36AM +0900, Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon wrote:

> Speaking of e-mail clients - I liked Netscape Communicator 4.8 on EE
> (EvilEmpire) for its extreme ease of backing up things - for example,
> you can have 10,000 files (literally) in one folder, as I recently did
> for an OpenOffice newsgroup, and by hitting <Ctrl>+<A>, they are all
> highlighted, and then <Ctrl>+<S> and the entire batch is saved into one
> single (rather large) text file.  Is there a way to do the same sort of
> thing with Mozilla?  It didn't seem to work when I tried it.  Also, with
> Netscape 4.8, I could move the entire InBox or Sent to other machines
> just by dropping that one file into the appropriate folder within
> Netscape.  I tried this with the Linux version of Netscape 4.8 and it
> worked, but I haven't tried it with Mozilla 1.6 yet - does it work that way?
>
> Any suggestions as to the best e-mail client to use?

Many of us will answer mutt.  Although not having a graphic email client
might seem a handicap at first, once you get used to it, you become
quite amazed at its powerful features.  (Hrrm, I sound like an
advertisement).  I have a page on it, that ~I~ feel makes the transition
relatively painless at

http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/mutt.html

If you aren't ready to make the jump to a text based email client (and
you should learn to use vi first, as that's the default editor in most
systems for mutt) you might like Sylpheed, a graphic email client that
many like--for those used to OE, the transition is relatively easy.
There's a couple of other graphic ones, Jonathan liked KDE's kmail for
awhile, but I think it was in the "new toy" category as I see he's gone
back to mutt.

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6

Harmony: How are you gonna kill her? Think! The second you even
point that thing at her, you're gonna be all 'Aaagh!' (holding
her hand to her head in imitation of Spike), and then you'll get
bitch-slapped up and down Main Street, unless she's finally had
enough and just stakes you!
Spike: Sure, it'll hurt like hell for about two hours. But she'll
be dead just a little longer than that.