Re: [tlug] Trying...(+IroIro)

On Sat, Feb 21, 2004 at 05:12:20PM -0800, Jonathan Byrne wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 09:25:14AM +0900, Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon wrote:
>

> However, I do stongly recommend learning a non-graphical text editor.
> If you've never used one before, you can try out Pico (the editor used
> by the Pine mail client), however, jumping in at the deep end with vi
> (or any of its variants such as vim or nvi) might be best.  If something
> bad happens (self-inflicted or otherwise) and you're using rescue tools to
> recover your system, vi is the most common editor you will find.

On some really small rescue shell things, they only have nano.
Annoying, once you're used to vi.

I've mentioned how in the early Gentoo days, many of us, as the install
is time consuming, would do it late at night. Many folks had the build
fail after an hour or two because we'd put :x! or :wq! at the end of
make.conf (which had to be edited with nano).

I too, however, would suggest starting with vi--one of my embarrassing
moments was when I had to fix something on an AIX box.  I was fairly new
to *nix but thought I was k3wL as I used pico.  However, no pico on AIX.
My boss said, Can't you use vi?  Oh, never mind, I'll do it.

I got the basics of vi down very quickly after that.  Although seemingly
awkward in the beginning, you'll find it's quite powerful, and may spoil
you for Notepad like editors.

> >Re: "1) DO NOT HIJACK THREADS  2) DO NOT TOP-POST  Just don't."
> >
> >I didn't do either, did I?
>
> Well, let me put it this way: do you think I'd mention it if you hadn't?
> You hit reply, changed the subject, and blithely typed away.  That is
> thread hijacking.
>
> And Shawn and Martin!  You - who both most certainly ought to know better -
> did it before Lyle did in the same thread.  It started out as a newcomer
> self-intro, then was hijacked by Shawn to talk about Linguistics and
> hijacked again by Martin to talk about Python.  Only after that did Lyle
> hijack it.  He probably thought it was OK because two people who ought to
> be setting good examples for others failed to do so.

This is something that many people don't realize, especially if they are
using some MS mail clients.  I was guilty of this many years ago.  Folks
don't realize that the better mail clients do a more accurate job of
threading.

It's something most folks have to be told at least once.  Lyle, not sure
what client you're using, but yes, even if you change a subject line and
hit reply, the more sophisticated email clients like mutt show it as
being part of the old thread.

Jonathan, if you could make a little
screenshot of it, I'll put it up on the web somewhere, and reference it
in my newbie faq.

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6

Xander: Nice. Look who's got a bad case of Dark Prince envy.
Dracula: I have no interest in you. Leave us.
Xander: No, we're not going to (imitates Dracula's accent) leave
you. And where'd you get that accent Sesame Street? One, two,
three - three victims. Mwah, ha, ha, ha!
Buffy: Xander, I'm pretty sure that's Dracula.
Xander: Wow, really? Hey, sorry, man, I was... just jokin' around.