[tlug] Re: Text Editors

On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 09:25:14AM +0900, Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon wrote:
> Actually, what I use for a text editor on EE-boxes is EditPad Pro, and they
> have a Linux version as well, so I should just buy that but I wanted to
> avoid any expenditures in what are financially tight times (for me anyway)
> - also I wanted to learn more about what's available within Linux already.

While I agree with Jonathan that spending some time learning vi
(and in particular, the vim variant, <http://www.vim.org/> )
and Emacs (and/or XEmacs and/or jed) is worthwhile, I know
there are a lot of people that would like to start with
something more point-and-clicky.

I recommend SciTE <http://www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html>.  It
includes most of the convenience features people expect in
modern text editors, including multi-buffer editing, syntax
coloring of program files, folding, and excellent Python
support.  (Ah.  Wait a minute.  That last may be something
*I* expect in modern text editors. :-)

Another popular X Window System text editor is NEDIT
<http://www.nedit.org/>, but it never "clicked" for me.

--
Jim Tittsler                                         GPG: 0x01159DB6
Kanto Computer Calendar  http://www.OnJapan.net/calendar/