Re: [tlug] Tar excluding some folders

susumu>
susumu> It must be in relative path in the archive.

stephen> This isn't quite true; it should be relative to whatever tar considers
stephen> the current directory.  That's usually `pwd`, but can be changed with
stephen> the -C flag.  This detail is not relevant to Chuck's case, since he's
stephen> put the tarball in the current directory and doesn't use -C.

    tar cvzfP /mnt/win_d/chuck-exclude.tar.gz -X /home/chuck/chuck-exclude.txt /home/chuck

Unless I'm missing something, I thought that I was putting the tarball
in /mnt/win_d. (?)

Anyway, reading Stephen's comments, I tried this

    tar cvzfP /mnt/win_d/chuck-exclude.tar.gz -C /home/chuck/ -X chuck-exclude.txt /home/chuck

which also runs, but still no elimination of unwanted directories.

Anyway, I can do it the other way around, i.e., running off an
"inclusions" file rather than exclusions file, and it seems like it will
basically take the same type of effort to maintain one or the
other. Nonetheless, it would be interesting to learn if it is indeed
possible.

Chuck

Charles Muller

Toyo Gakuen University