Re: [tlug] pattern matching

    Susumu> but my little grep(1) do it for me with,

    Susumu>  $ grep -o PATTERN file

That's handy.  I wonder when they added that ... well, it's not in GNU
grep 2.4.2 on Mac OS X.  Debian Linux is at 2.5.1.

So it's not an issue of clever, it's that it's not portable: it
doesn't work on Solaris 8, either.  Without looking, I'll bet it's not
POSIX.  (Those are separate issues, Solaris grep doesn't accept the
required EFG flags so it can't be POSIX.)

If you are mostly working on the command line, that's great, of
course.  No disagreement there---of course you can always choose the
latest GNU grep for yourself (except for really fascist secure
environments, and then losing the -o flag is the least of your
troubles).

The problem is when you start writing configure.ac and stuff like
that.  I've been embarrassed twice this month by bash-isms in
configure.