Re: [tlug] Is linguistics OT at all?

On 2004.2.13, at 09:20  AM, Josh Glover wrote:

> Quoth Shawn (Fri 2004-02-13 08:54:42AM +0900):
>
>>> Is linguistics OT at all?  :p
>>
>> Couldn't we say that both computer science and linguistics are
>> concerned
>> with collections of elements and thier acceptable orderings (grammar).
>
> We could, and it is no coincidence that many geeks (especially geeks
> with
> formal Computer Science backgrounds) are quite interested in
> linguistics.

That definitely seems to be the case.  I guess many sys admins get
bored with their jobs, and decide to do linguistics on the side. ;-)

Cf. this (cool) website -- written in Latin -- by a Norwegian computer
geek: http://latinitas.org/

And another one of my favorites:  http://www.greeklatinaudio.com/

I myself am a hopin' to learn enough Latin to get to read the Vulgate
in a couple of years' time. ;-)

Cheers,

Raymond