Re: [tlug] rf noise

On Monday 09 February 2004 11:45 pm, Brett Robson wrote:

> Both Jonathon and Alain are on the same track as me.
       ^^^^^^^^

<cough>

> Come to think of it I don't even know which components are producing
> radiation, other than the fan motors and CPU.

Years ago, a guy with a background in RF engineering told me that from an RF
radiation standpoint, the PCI bus was horribly designed, so that's probably
another of the many sources.  The main one is still the CPU, and since this
didn't happen until after your upgrade, the CPU/mobo are your main culprits.
CPUs do put out lots of RF interference.  Back in the old days, there was a
program (probably several, for various platforms) that could play music over
your radio if you put it close to your TRS-80.  It caused the RF output of
the CPU to vary and played music.  The owner of my neighborhood Radio Shack
had it on a TRS-80 there.

Jonathan
--
99 pounds of natural born goodness