Re: [tlug] rf noise

On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 04:45:53PM +0900, Brett Robson wrote:
> Come to think of it I don't even know which components are producing
> radiation, other than the fan motors and CPU. I had thought of putting a
> layer of insulating foam and foil around the sides and top.

I'd be more suspicious that one or more of the cables attached
to your box is radiating.  Have you tried disconnecting them
one by one to try to isolate the source?  (An AM broadcast band
radio tuned to a relatively empty part of the dial can be used
as a crude probe.)

> Moving the box is the most obvious thing. How far can you practically run
>  * video (of course it depends on cable quality)
5 meters is easy.  Above that you can buy (expensive) active
boxes that will allow longer runs.

>  * keybroad and mouse
I think the specification is about 4 meters... but you will be
able to get away with longer.  If you stick a KVM switch in the
line you could double that.  And there are (expensive) extenders
that will allow you hundreds of feet.

>  * USB (no point in running audio cables to that digital sound module
5 meters maximum between device and hub for full speed devices.
(You can have up to 5 hubs... so in theory you could get the
device 30 meters away. :-)

--
Jim Tittsler                                         GPG: 0x01159DB6
Kanto Computer Calendar  http://www.OnJapan.net/calendar/