Re: [tlug] rf noise

On Feb 10, 2004, at 3:02 PM, Brett Robson wrote:

> I have had no luck getting help with this elsewhere.
>
> I use one of my home computers as part of my home studio. I have always
> had problems with noise but with my recent CPU upgrade 1Ghz->2Ghz it
> has brought it to a head.
>
> The guitar pickups pickup incredible white noise and with a compressor
> it is unusable. Moving away 1 meter and turning away reduces it to
> managable levels but then I can't touch my computer.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas (i don't want to use a noise
> limiter/filter)?
> The only thing I can think of is sheilding case, but how?

	I'm not an RF expert nor do I play one on TV.  But you might want to
first
try some aluminum shielding (perhaps something as cheap as aluminum foil
covering your computer somehow without cutting ventilation) and seeing
if
that reduces some of the radiation being emitted by your PC.

	The other options is to look into specialized PC cases that can provide
shielding (I've not really looked since I've never had a problem) or
are made
of solid metal.  I have no idea how your PC is built but the casing
could be
a problem if it's mostly plastic.
http://thetechnozone.com/pcbuyersguide/hardware/systems/PC_cases.html

	Another option is moving the main case where the PC is further away
from where you actually use the guitar and leave the monitor and
keyboard
closer to you.

Alain

"Technology carries with it a responsibility that we
are obliged to consider" -Arthur C. Clarke