[tlug] viewing Japanese PDF files

Warning: dumb-ass question.

I've recently had to comment on a plan by my part of my institution for
quasi-publishing PDF files on its website.

I attempted to view the sample already tentatively posted (via the
default fashion provided by KDE 3.1.1, SuSE 8.2) and virtually all of
the text was missing. GV does let me view the content (but in an
unpalatably ugly form); neither KGhostView nor Acrobat Reader displays it.

A Linux-non-using acquaintance says that Acrobat-Reader-for-Linux can't
display Japanese text. (Of course, it will display Japanese or anything
else pee-dee-effed as graphics.) I find this hard to believe, because GV
(presumably working in tandem with other software) does allow it, and
because (to the limit of my patience in searching) Adobe's website seems
not to mention this.

Am I, as so often, missing something very obvious?