Re: [tlug] 100mbit to the home

On Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 03:47:38PM +0900, Brett Robson wrote:

>Open http://home.gol.com/index_e.html and
>http://www.gol.com/index_j.html in separate browers and click through in
>parallel.

And, GOL has had that functionality since before I started working there,
which was over five years ago.  Hard to match?  You bet.  Before joining
GOL, I worked for one of their competitors, but GOL was ahead of them
in every single area, bar none.

OK, here comes the lame tie-in :-)  GOL runs its business on Linux
and BSD.   One of the last Solaris servers was the one I brought back from
Osaka after it died of power supply failure, but that box (running
Solaris x86) is probably still the uptime record holder: it was over
three years of uptime at the point the power supply blew.  From the
time it was installed in Osaka to the time it expired, it was never
rebooted.   One of our other champions was a Red Hat 4.x box with a
2.0.x kernel that reached 497 days and rebooted itself due to the 497 day
bug.  After that, it kept on ticking.  Even more amazing than the uptime,
perhaps, is the fact that that box, out on the Internet, was never
owned (it was a production server, but it was locked down very well).

Next bit of trivia: when I left Japan, whoever received that very large
AT full tower case from me (the one with the dual Pentium Pro in it) got
the case from that legendary Red Hat 4.x box.  I changed the guts from the
original Pentium 90, but that dual PPro board was also a GOL castoff. Most
of our obsolete hardware in those days was recycled into the hands of
staff, and some into TLUG auctions.

Makes me wish I still worked there, so I could line up at the trough.
I doubt there's much left to give away these days, though.

This is so natsukashii, I think I'm getting a bit verklempt :-)

Jonathan
--
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys ACC46EF9
Key fingerprint = E52E 8153 8F37 74AF C04D  0714 364F 540E ACC4 6EF9