Re: [tlug] 100mbit to the home

On Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 03:21:32PM +0900, Thomas S. wrote:

>I agree with you that most of the japanese ISP provides English support, but
>you will end up explaining in japanese later ;)

I don't know about others, but at GOL all English support is provided by
native speakers, so if you wind up explaining in Japanese later that's
a comment on your English ability, not theirs :-)

>GOL too.. But, they are good for newbies to japan.  GOL charges ~8000 for a
>fixed IP addresss where as ASAHI-Net offers flat 700/month for ADSL and
>500/month for fixed IP address...

Is that a fully unrestricted static IP?  Run your own server(s), no
bandwidth cap, etc.?  GOL's is, which is the reason for the pricing
differential.  They don't offer static IP on consumer services (as far
as I can tell; at least, it wasn't offered when I worked there).  Here
in LA I use Roadrunner Business Class for the same reason: fully unrestricted
static IP, excellent and consistent bandwidth, and if I ever need support
(I haven't, except for when the router they gave me died almost out of the
box, and they came out and replaced it and gave me a credit for the whole
install fee by way of apology, which translated to almost three months of
free service).

FTTH is one thing I'd like to see here, but AFAIK it's not available anywhere
in the US and won't be for a long, long time.

Jonathan
--
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys ACC46EF9
Key fingerprint = E52E 8153 8F37 74AF C04D  0714 364F 540E ACC4 6EF9