Re: [tlug] shell scripts

Hi,

	Haven't done much programming specifically for FreeBSD.  However,
if you're looking at programming a kernel module for FreeBSD might want
look here:
http://www.daemonnews.org/200010/blueprints.html
http://www.r4k.net/mod/fbsdfun.html

	In regards to shell scripts i stick with plain Bourne Shell and use
the simplest semantics possible.  For about 80% of the small things I
want to glue together it works quite well.   Once I get to the other 20%
and it gets harder using straight Bourne I usually switch to a scripting
language since if I have to use a specific shell outside of Bourne or
C-Shell I already know I'm sunk in terms of maintenance and portability
so might as well just move to a language with more features.

Alain

On Feb 4, 2004, at 10:44 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     bofh> I'm with that - I've been using FreeBSD for over 3 years now
>     bofh> and love it.  Only thing is that I've mainly used it as a
>     bofh> server and hardly ever run X on it...
>
> Ah, but do you program it?  I'm looking for help porting Coda (the
> kernel module---the rest, including the server, compiles fine) to Mac
> OS X.
>
> [snip]

"Sayonara to intrusive noise"