Re: [tlug] shell scripts

    Brett> Does anyone know which is the most common Unix script these
    Brett> days? (I mean Unix not Linux). I'd assume that korn shell,
    Brett> but I haven't worked on Unix for a long time.

The least common denominator is "classic" Bourne shell (sh).  This is
understood by modern "full-featured" shells like bash, zsh, and *ksh.

The standard shell language is defined by POSIX.  It is based on the
classic Bourne shell, but includes "modern" features.

BSD derivatives often use the C sh (csh or tcsh), but it has serious
problems as a scripting language.  AFAIK the recommendation is still
to avoid using t?csh for scripting.

Real programmers of course use XEmacs as their shell (GNU Emacs still
doesn't work as a login shell AFAIK) and Lisp as their scripting
language.  For small systems like PDAs scsh (Scheme shell) is an
acceptable alternative.

Problems:

1.  Where did the real information leave off and the jokes begin?