[tlug] LAN domain name naming standards

Hello,

I would like to get your advice on the following:
I know there are various ways to define the LAN domain. Some use
something totally fake like company.intern, some uses tokyo.company.jp, etc.
What are the current standards for LAN domain name naming and what are
the pros and cons considering scalability (Extranet, VPN, Windows
server, Unixes server softwares) and that the company has several
branches in Japan?
Do you know good pointers to online reading materials on the subject?

Thanks,

--
Jacques Deguest
<http://www.deguest.jp/>