Re: [tlug] RE: getting back on track [ was RE: introductions ]

On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 10:27:19PM -0800, Jonathan Byrne wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 16, 2004 at 10:09:53AM +0900, Brett Robson wrote:
>
> >Until you get to version 9. There seems to be very few packages that go
> >to double digit versions. Count the number of version 10s you see, they
> >are very rare and you can be sure they are from "serious" suppliers.
>
> Slackware is at 10, I think (OK, they are serious) and Mandrake has a
> 10 coming up (clowns) and SuSE should have a 10 at some point (serious).
> Of course, those are whole distros, but your point is well-taken: not
> much has been around long enough to have a version 10, and those that
> have are generally legit: they have nine previous major releases to get
> to 10.

Actually, Slack had a major version bump at some point, but it was
pretty lighthearted--I think they upped from 3 or 4 to 7 and Patrick
just said, hey, everyone else is at 7 so why not?

As I said, it was fairly lightheartedly done, and not really meant to
impress anyone--at least that was the impression I got.

> mindshare hit when they decided to abandon the free (as in beer) version
> of RH entirely and replace it with Fedora, which will always be kind of
> a hacker's Linux, I suspect.  People who don't want to hack around with
> their distro but just want to use it to get work done will mostly steer
> clear of Fedora.

Having played with it, albeit briefly, not sure if that's the case--when
you say hacker's distro, I think more of something like Slack.  Fedora
pretty much "just works," in the same way RH does, though, of course as
a beta, it's a bit buggy.   I would be leery about putting it on a
production server (he writes, using FreeBSD 5.1 on a non-critical server
at work for fun) but for the home user, it's probably close to the later
RH versions (8, 9).

So, I think if I were still very used to RH, and using it as
workstation, I would switch to Fedora and not notice much difference.
By this I mean, web surfing, email, Office type docs, etc.

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6

Buffy: Cool! Crossbow! Check out these babies. Goodbye stakes,
hello flying fatality.