Re: [tlug] RE: getting back on track [ was RE: introductions ]

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 13:21, A. Sajjad Zaidi wrote:
> > as for Mandrake - it seems like a pretty good system, with all the
> > reviews ive been reading on the net. or maybe it is more of a desktop
> > system, then?
>
> After being duped 3 times, the latest being just last month, I've put
> Mandrake on my NTUMLD list (never touch unless matter of life & death).

Until recently, Mandrake was my preferred distribution for personal use. Both
servers and desktops.
(By the way, I am now trying out Fedora, Debian and Gentoo before I decide on
my new preference).

The reason I've fallen out with Mandrake is the most recent install of it I
did on a dual xeon p4.
The machine crashed at 04:28am Sunday morning. I waited until Monday to fix it
as it wasn't a production machine.

When I went to reboot it, it crashed again on reboot.

All appearances were that the machine had been rootkitted, however, if that
was it then it's the best one yet for hiding itself... except for making the
machine crash of course.

Sam Tilders
sam@example.com
(Move to Jupiter)