Re: [tlug] next meeting

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 13:15:28 +0900
Blomberg David <dblomber@example.com> wrote:

> > I guess 'multimaster or single-master' is a different topic. Do you want to discuss
> > about this topic, too?
> oouch I may have been working on a sync issue for a while now for no
> reason then (its an inconsistent link and using slurpd for
> replication-and well its been inconsistent in the data as well.)
>
> Actually I have been digging for more info on Multimaster set ups and I
> have the basic how to but openldap mailing list is very quiet on the
> subject.
> (I am working on a distributed setup premise one ldap master in US and
> the other here and making sure they stay in sync without too much
> administrative overhead)

IMHO, multimaster is not so good idea to make high-availability or directory
synchronization. I guess single-master with failover is better. If you want
load-balancing of modification access control, it may be good idea to use
multimaster ( though multimaster in openldap is experimental ).

syncbackup was born with the experience of my LDAP work which consists
of 1M entries in one directory, 3 or 4 modifications and/or 100 searches per
second, and of high-available single-master environement. In this environment,
slurpd is really difficult to maintain consistency. I needed NFS to support
single-master environment with high-available modification
environment, and I also made ad-hoc cron scripts to check the reject files.
Even though syncbackup hasn't been product level, I can use it in my private
environment. I have to think twice about the design of syncbackup. But I have
the actual implementation, so we can refer this implementation when we ( I or
OpenLDAP guys ) will make a more better design.

In the next meeting, I'll speak as a speaker, but the main reason is that I'd
like to know the design problems and/or any kind of improvements (and also English).
So I'll be a student in the meeting. This is what I'm worried.

Thanks in advance
--
Masato Taruishi - VA Linux Systems Japan Inc. <taru@example.com>
                - Debian Project <taru@example.com>