Re: [tlug] Installing Linux on VMWare running on Windows2000

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 20:36:17 +0900, Yoshihito Niizuma wrote
> hello,
>
> first time to post a message here. i want to install (gentoo) linux
> on vmware running on win2000.
>
> has anyone been able to do this successfully?

Never tried (never will :)

> the problem is that when i create the linux virtual system on vmware,
> the hard disk volume is created as scsi device.

according to: http://www.vmware.com/support/ws4/doc/disks_config_ws.html#1008319

"Virtual disks can be set up as IDE disks for any guest operating system. They
can be set up as SCSI disks for any guest operating system that has a driver
for the BusLogic SCSI adapter used in a VMware Workstation virtual machine."

so it says two things:

1) It's possible to configure the VirtualDisk as IDE.

AND

2) It uses a "BusLogic SCSI adapter". So after booting the LiveCD:

modprobe BusLogic
modprobe sg
modprobe sd_mod

should do the trick.

Maybe your are using the vmware's "wizard" and for some reason it doesn't
allow you to select IDE as the VD type. but I'm confident that you can change
the settings to IDE after creation of the VM.

Yoshihito-san, PLEASE CAREFULLY READ THE DOCUMENTATION at vmware's site.

//mauro//