Re: [tlug] Link on OS security problems

Sanjay-san,

	Here we go again.  OKay Linux has its share of security problems hence
the need to be smart about what you install.

	Beware reports of the number of secuirty problems.  Many of these
reports are factually flawed to begin with they count Linux as all the
possible software on the CDs (do you run MySQL and POstgrSQL and BerlyDB
and LDBM and are you running postfix and Sendmail and every piece of
software including what seems like 10 PDF viewers and GNome and KDE and
all the other desktop managers on your system....Well thats the basis of
the report compared to a Windows Server with NO mail server, Database
server or anyhting else added.  (REALLY a fair comparison don't you
think a Linux Desktop security compared to MS --and we still come close
to Windows Server security-Wow MS really does suck--)

	Second problem MS rolls security reports into batches.  So Linux each
problem is reported by itself while MS reports 1 problem that covers
Server, IIS and other items by themselves it still gets reported as 1.

	Take these reports and expose them for what they are poor/no research
items if you are asked.

	Heres the funny BTW (conjecture but something to consider). MS can hide
the number of flaws they fix while Linux is open and the numbers are
there for anyone to see.  With all the Press MS has given to getting
serious about security how much preasure do you think internally there
is to fix without officailly reporting flaws found so their numbers look
better.

Enjoy

--
David Blomberg
AIS, APS, ASE, CCNA, LCP, LCA, Linux+, LPI I, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, RHCE, Server+