Re: [tlug] Re: Happy New Year

At Sun, 4 Jan 2004 23:12:44 -0800,
Jonathan Byrne wrote:
> Since you're an ex-HSBC, I guess you know Joe Marchak, another old-time
> TLUGger.  Joe it was that first got me going with Sparc Linux.  At a nomikai,
> not even a regular meeting, we installed Red Hat 5.something for Sparc
> on a disk I brought, which came from a Sparcstation 1+ or 2 that I had
> sitting at home (gained from a TLUG auction, naturally; donated by John
> Little, from his employer, I believe).  Joe had a dinnerbox Sparc in
> his backpack, and somebody's notebook was used as a serial console.
> With me looking on, Sparc Linux was then installed by Joe M and Chris
> Sekiya.  The Tengu staff probably thought we were nuts, looking all around
> for a power outlet, and double nuts when they saw why we wanted it :-)

Speaking of SPARC Linux, I was making the SPARC Version of Vine
(Japanese distro). I started to develop that one because the machine I
use in my university was a SPARC machine and I wanted to use Vine.

I had the web site that provide information about Ultra Linux (which
means SPARC Linux) in Japanese (actually it exists now).

Still I have two SPARC machine, SS20 and SS10, but they don't
work now. Recently I bought a RS-232C cross cable to avoid using an
extremely big CRT and control from a remote host. But I'm not thinking
to use SPARC Linux, instead I'm going to get Solaris installed.

--
Masato