[tlug] Japanese with gtk+ and gtk+2

Dear all,

Here's a question.

What is the minumum requirement to set up Japanese Input for gtk+
and gtk+2 applications without using distro-specific tools?  If
possible,
without gnome either.

My problem is with MacOSX10.2.8.  I have installed several apps with
Fink
package management.  Hope I am still with tlug list policies.  :)

I can use kinput2 and canna on other applications (e.g. KDE), and
I have a working gtk applications (gedit, gimp, gnumeric, sylpheed, ...)
Some on gtk+, others on gtk+2.  For gtk+, gimp works with Japanese,
although the [A] window(?) blinks too fast to use.  gnumeric and
sylpheed doesn't respond when I presses shift + space.  I suppose I need
to recompile with some option?  For gtk+2 apps, no Japanese at all.

I have set the environmental variables as:
LC_CTYPE: ja_JP.utf8
LC_TIME: CLC_COLLATE: C
LANG: ja_JP.EUC
LC_ALL: ja_JP.EUC
LANGUAGE: en_US (to leave the menus English)
XMODIFIERS: @example.com=kinput2

Thanks
--
+ BABA Yoshihiko