[tlug] Debian Newbie (was: management)

Jonathan Byrne wrote:

> On Tuesday 23 December 2003 06:43 am, Charles Muller wrote:
>

> > Well, I'm presently in the midst of the process of trying to make a switch
> > from RH9 to Debian. So far, it's been pretty frightening, but I'll let you
> > know how I make out.
>
> Don't be scared, it's well worth the change.  I moved from RH to Debian after
> RH 8 came out and I just couldn't swallow it.  The one-year EOL policy was
> the last straw.  RH 7.3 was a great version, but now that I'm on Debian I
> would never go back.

It was a rough few days getting Debian set up on this Clevo laptop I got
from Pasokon koubou, with all of its odd components (I couldn't get X working,
or a network connection). Finally, with the help of the people on the
Debian laptop list, I got these two things working, so I can now pick at
the other peripherals gradually. I would imagine that if I had installed
on a more standardized system, I would not have had these many problems.

Frankly, I really didn't want to spend another vacation learning a new
distro. I was very happy with Red Hat 9, but I just can't stomach their
new price scheme with the enterprise version, or the attitude with which
it was presented to me.

First, I thought of going back to Mandrake, and I downloaded the ISO's
for 9.2 and installed it. But just like before, it was so buggy
(keyboard problems, directory permissions problems, conflicts with Emacs
in utf-8 and XML...), and the installation configured so many things
different from the way I wanted them, that I just decided it was time to
take the plunge into *truly* free software.

So I guess you can expect to hear some Debian-related questions from me
on TLUG in the near future.

Chuck

Charles Muller

Toyo Gakuen University