Re: [tlug] management

On Tuesday 23 December 2003 06:43 am, Charles Muller wrote:

> Well, I'm presently in the midst of the process of trying to make a switch
> from RH9 to Debian. So far, it's been pretty frightening, but I'll let you
> know how I make out.

Don't be scared, it's well worth the change.  I moved from RH to Debian after
RH 8 came out and I just couldn't swallow it.  The one-year EOL policy was
the last straw.  RH 7.3 was a great version, but now that I'm on Debian I
would never go back.

Tip: if this is for workstation use, install Sarge (testing) or Sid
(Unstable), you'll like them better than Woodie (Stable).  If it's a server,
go for Woodie.  It's easy to change horses mid-stream in the install by
starting with a Woodie installer, doing an verbose install (or did they call
it Advanced? See, once Debian is installed you never have to do it again, so
you forget these things :-) ) and change your Apt sources to point at Testing
or Unstable.

Some of the third-party modded installers that support newer kernels and
things like ReiserFS and XFS are nice, and can also be pointed at Unstable or
Testing as above.

Jonathan