Re: [tlug] Next Distro

On Wed, 2003-12-03 at 09:40, Shawn wrote:
> > SuSE is a rather good distribution and can recommend it to everyone.
>
> Does SuSE have Opteron support?
Officially in the enterprise server yes (really the Linux kernel
supports Opteron so the whole answer for all Linux machines is yes.

> I don't really need an answer and am just mentioning it to point out that
> one advantage of Fedora is letting outside developers more easily make
> contributions such as Opteron support.
>
> http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104_2-5112820.html
Fedora has a "steering comitee" of the Red Hat project team and really
it is normal Red Hat rebranded without Red Hat having to support fixes
on a timely basis (I expect they still will but they are under no
obligation)

> Of course the verdict is out on stability but we can hope that good stuff
> will come out of the project that may end up in SuSE and elsewhere if it
> is not stable enough under the whole Fedora distro scheme of things for
> people to really want to use it there.
Expect Fedora to have stability of RH 8 and 9. but dont expect it to
reach a 7.3 status thats what the eneterprise line is for.

> > the only way to start a running mediaplayer with SuSE9.0 will be a
> > download of mplayer (not longer included) or a self-compile from a
>
> I may be wrong, but I thought I saw something on the Fedora list about the
> included version of XXMS not playing MP3 due to licensing issue and that a
> different version was required.  As to whether that was really acurate or
> not...not using Fedora so...
True true.

--
David Blomberg
AIS, APS, ASE, CCNA, LCP, LCA, Linux+, LPI I, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, RHCE, Server+