Re: [tlug] anyone used a OpenBlockS266

> OpenBlockS runs on PowerPC.  No problem with gcc or any other GNU tools,
> except that its PPC CPU is very slow and it has very small amount of
> RAM.
Is a IBM PowerPC 405GPr 266MHz really to slow for a web server.  64MB
(PC133,SDRAM) does seems a bit small.
http://online.plathome.co.jp/products/openblocks/openblocks266/kihon.html
It also states in the section on IDE drives that they shouldn't be run
continuously.  This would seem to rather limit it as a server.
http://online.plathome.co.jp/products/openblocks/openblocks266/option.html#11550973

> Some websites recommend cross compiling on your PC:
> http://www.smalltown.ne.jp/~usata/memo/openblocks.shtml
Thanks for this link it was quite useful.

> Competitive products:
>
> Kohituji (LAM) Router
> http://www.wildlab.com/

http://www.wildlab.com/LAMB/pages/product/linux-box.htm
These look interesting but they have only 32MB of ram and an AMD Elan520
(Am5x86-133MHz) processor.  They also don't seem to have support for IDE
drives, and only seem to have 2.2 kernel support.

> MicroPC/MicroServer
> http://www.hightech.co.jp/
http://www.hightech.co.jp/products/mpc_spec.html
http://www.hightech.co.jp/products/server.html
These seem to be complete PC's (mouse/keyboard, video card, sound
card).  I am looking for something headless, that will complement a
desktop PC.

Edward