Re: [tlug] anyone used a OpenBlockS266

On Friday, November 28, 2003, at 11:42  pm, Edward Middleton wrote:

> I was taking a stroll round Akihabara last weekend and found these.
>
> http://openlab.plathome.co.jp/OpenBlockS266/index.html
>
> They looked like the perfect home Linux server/router solution.  Has
> anyone used one of these.  The price seems rather excessive, but might
> be less hassle then trying to hack a LinkSys router into doing
> something
> similar.
>
> They seem to have development tools available for download but the
> software that comes with them seems to be aimed mostly at windows
> users.  Has anyone had experience using their tool chain or compiling
> software for these systems.

*The websites referred here are in Japanese.

OpenBlockS runs on PowerPC.  No problem with gcc or any other GNU tools,
except that its PPC CPU is very slow and it has very small amount of
RAM.
Plathome offers linux development tools (experimental):
http://openlab.plathome.co.jp/OpenBlockS/hdroot.html

Some websites recommend cross compiling on your PC:
http://www.smalltown.ne.jp/~usata/memo/openblocks.shtml

Competitive products:

Kohituji (LAM) Router
http://www.wildlab.com/