Re: [tlug] Red Hat Linux end-of-life

Hi,

	I've worked with both Redhat and Debian.  And once you feel
comfortable managing a Linux system in general the move to Debian isn't
that bad.  In general the longest time is setup time as you sit down
and figure out what applications you want on your machine.

	Once that is done you can just use:
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade (or perhaps just this)
	to keep your Debian distro up to date.   If you ever need something
it's merely just a
apt-get install <package>
	and all the dependencies will be figured out and installed for you.
Once you're over that beginning hump Debian is really a pleasure to
maintain.  The other nice thing is that you can start from a very bare
Debian install and type something like:
apt-get install kde3
	or something like that and get yourself a running workstation after
download and install of the packages.

	One thing that you might get bitten with Debian is if you have some
extra software that assumes Redhat-flavor filesystem layout or library
dependencies then it gets a little hairier.

Best regards,
Alain