[tlug] Measuring Rsync bandwidth

Dear All,

I am currently evaluating the possible setup of a hot standby server in
another foreign branch of my company.

Because of this, I am asked by my HQ to provide detailed figures of the
amount of data transferred on my network, so that they purchase enough
capacity.

I use rsync to perform the backups so I would like to measure how much
activity runs on the network because of this.  Do you have any idea how I
can get some quick figures? Of course I can measure "du -h" before and
after, but this would exclude the network overhead of rsync.

Also does anyone know if rsync requires a minimum speed / network latency to
work?

regards

Patrick