Re: [tlug] Home Server friendly ISPs?

Mon, 27 Oct 2003 21:28:14 +0900 scripsit Alain Hoang:

>    I find this practice understandable by ISPs but I really dislike ISPs
> that go out of their way to make it difficult (such as renewing IP
> leases often).

You can still host stuff on your server with a dynamic IP. Proof of that is
the 3 or 4 domains I host here (both http and smtp) on an IP which changes
twice a day.

1) Get yourself a dyndns.org hostname.

2) Make your dyndns.org hostname the CNAME of www.yourdomain.tld.

3) Make your dyndns.org hostname the MX for yourdomain.tld.

4) Set up ez-ipupdate so that it informs dyndns.org whenever your IP
   changes.

5) Sit back and enjoy :)

--
G. Stewart   --   gstewart@example.com -- gstewart@example.com
Registered Linux user #284683 (Slackware 9.0)