[tlug] Can't get Japanese in emacs

This is really strange because my system at work works fine, but at home
when I try M-x toggle-input-method it tells me, ``Can't activate input
method `japanese'.'' Both machines are up-to-date Gentoo systems with
(nearly) the same set of USE flags (anyway, both have cjk nls canna
freewnn). I can't figure out why one should work and the other not.
Anyone have any idea?
--
Stuart Luppescu       -=- s-luppescu .at. uchicago.edu
University of Chicago -=- CCSR