[tlug] 2.4.x on old CyrixInstead

I am trying to compile a 2.4.18 kernel for debian stable to use on a
CyrixInstead cpu with the comma bug.  The system boots without problems
on all 2.2 kernels I have tried but consistently crashes on boot with
all 2.4.x debian kernel images.  I created some test kernel images and
found that unless I set ATA/IDE/MFM/RLL support->IDE, ATA and ATAPI
Block devices->"Use old disk-only driver on primary interface" it
freezes just after finding the IDE drive.  With this set it fails just
after at

"Freeing unused kernel memory"

there is no oops it just freezes.  Does anyone have any ideas on how to
debug this, or any suggestions.

Edward