Re: [tlug] Gentoo and serial ATA

Jean-Christian Imbeault <jc@example.com> wrote:
> Jeremy Main wrote:
>
> > SATA RAID 4P-PCI  3,980
> > it uses the SiliconImage chipset.
> > http://www.kuroutoshikou.com/products/serialata/sataraid4pfset.html
>
> Weird. I'm just back from the Bic camera in Ikebukuro where they only
> had two controllers with that chipset. And Adaptec Raid contorller *and*
> the one you mention above which I got for only 2,480.
>
> Now to see if Gentoo likes it :)

2,480 for the 3112 (2 ports), or 3114 (4 ports)?

I am interested in how they perform, in mirroring (esp. how
easy/difficult to swap a failed disk, how long it takes to re-mirror).

I have one of their parallel ATA boards using the SiI680 chipset and it
was crap.  Apparaently they bought it from CMD.  But now everybody is
using their chips for Serial ATA (it is on most M/Bs where SATA is
supported but not built into the south bridge), so they might have
improved.

Stephen