Re: [tlug] Quick follow-up on OpenOffice

On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 08:59:51PM -0400, Scott wrote:

> This does hold true for docs created with the default MS fonts.
> However, for the heck of it, also played with a calligraphic TTF. In
> that case, OO couldn't display it.

I've been a bit crazy about fonts recently and getting OO to use other
fonts in no problem at all. Just download your TTFs and copy them to X's
TTF folder.

> In both these cases I've done no further research.  I was wondering how
> easily OO could display docs created by the more mainstream O/S's.  (I
> do vaguely remember a thread here, telling how to do it, changing
> something.)

But however great OO's functionality is, it is still very bloated. Just
for viewing .doc docs, I prefer Abiword. Starts up in just a few seconds
and seems nicer on the eyes, though I had trouble printing and the
exported .doc file wasn't exactly liked by OO.

> I'm just passing this along in case anyone is interested.  This was more
> or less an advocacy type thing--could the lazy man, switching to OSS
> easily deal with docs from MS and Mac.

Haven't tried the latest Gnumeric, but I heard it now supports more
functions than Excel.

--
A. Sajjad Zaidi
Sr.System Administrator