Re: [tlug] Good binary distribution

On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 12:54:48PM +0900, BABA Yoshihiko wrote:
> How about FreeBSD?

I just defected from BSD :-). I was running OpenBSD
on my firewall before, but I needed to run some software
(H.323 and SIP proxies) that wouldn't compile properly,
and I didn't have time to keep fighting with it.
So I reluctantly switched to Gentoo, which I run on
my other boxes.

Other than the software compatibility issues, I think
that OpenBSD or NetBSD are pretty much ideal for a
firewall. I particularly like OpenBSD pf configuration
compared to iptables.

> Although FreeBSD does have many packages included on the CD,
> especially if one downloads the 2nd CD, updating is usually
> done from source tarballs.  So, for example, if he had to
> update openssh, that would be done from source rather
> than binaary.  Also, general updating of the system is
> done from source.

I actually don't mind compiling packages from source,
just as long as the core system is available as binary.
I like the way xBSD ports first build a package, then do
a pkg_add, so I can put it on multiple systems easily.

I don't think Gentoo is very good for a firewall
where you need to be able to install from scratch in
an hour without an Internet connection. It is quite
nice once you have things running properly, though.

I guess the Gentoo stage-3 install would be a good solution,
but it is so big to download (one or two CDs).

> (Still pushing Arch as my favorite binary distro.)

I will give Arch a try.

Jake