Re: [tlug] Good binary distribution

On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 12:57:44PM +0000, Josh Glover wrote:
> Quoth Scott <scottro@example.com>:
>
> > On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 07:19:31PM -0700, Jake Morrison wrote:
> >

> > Heh, probably Josh will snicker when he saw your question.
>
> Josh did in fact snicker when he saw this, for several reasons:
>
> 1) Scott is foaming-at-the-mouth crazy about Arch Linux

Actually, I'm pretty much a BSD guy these days--but to play with things
like the 12.6 kernel or any Linux desktop things, I use Arch--quick
install and usually seamless updates.  (Though they don't have a package
yet for the module-install-tools or whatever it is for the 2.6 kernel
yet, and I've been too lazy--I just made a monolithic kernel, to play.)

> 2) A "smaller machine, firewall, etc" is where Gentoo makes the most sense, to
>    me

Yes, but he's asking binary--ok, before you and Ulrich jump on me, yes,
Gentoo does have binaries now.

> 3) Having said that, I realised that I use NetBSD on all of my servers these
>    days

I tend to use FreeBSD for production things, simply because I'm far more
familiar with it, and my boss gets annoyed at my constant changing of
the O/S on a server.  :)  (though I keep it transparent to the users).

Also #freebsd is so much more fun than #netbsd.  :)  (Yeah, that's an
important reason).

One reason I push Arch, to be serious here, (and why I'm answering this
publicly, rather than privately) is because I think that it deserves
more publicity.  It's still quite an obscure distribution, but has a lot
of good points in my opinion, and I'd like to see more people using it.

Scott

GPG KeyID EB3467D6
( 1B848 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2  A409 FA54 D575 EB34 67D6)

Willow: Nervous?
 Xander: No way. I'm full of that good old kamikazee spirit.
 Giles: Xander, just because this is never going to work, there's no
need to be negative.