Re: [tlug] Good binary distribution

Quoth Botond Botyanszki <tlug@example.com>:

> Jake Morrison <jake_morrison@example.com> wrote:
>
>> Knoppix seems like an interesting
>> way to get Debian  installed, but I understand that the HD
>> install is too big and messy for a firewall.
>
> For a firewall you can install it in less than 400 megs. Why is that big
> and messy?

Not to be crufty (OK, to be crufty), but 400M seems pretty hefty to me for a
dedicated firewall. Seems to me that I can get Gentoo installed with just the
kernel, base system, OpenSSH, and iptables in 250M or so. Rip out the compiler,
Perl, and Python when I am done, and that would probably go down to 200M or so.
And I bet that NetBSD would be even smaller, if I installed just the kernel,
base system, and system.

-Josh "The third Doughty brother" Glover