Re: [tlug] Fedora Project.

Hmmm. I'm not so sure. I figured that RedHat was spending too much on
the free distribution, and was taking a lot of flack for, slowly but
surely, becoming the new Microsoft of Linux.

Fedora let's them kill too birds with one stone. It let's the community
have a much larger degree of control than it had previously, and RedHat
can redirect more of it's efforts into it's profitable business line.

I doubt you will see it as a cooker. I think you will see this become
the standard RedHat desktop for non-paying clients, with normal release
and beta cycles just as we have become accustomed too. It doesn't make
sense for RedHat to let it's consumer/small business release become too
bleeding edge, a-la cooker. It hurts their reputation and some of those
people may just decide to pay later.

Everyone seems to win in this arrangement. The community gets a lot more
say in how their distribution runs, Fedora project gets a huge influx of
money and talent, RedHat reduces their bottom line (not to 0 as they
still support Fedora with cash and developers, just a lot less than
before) and has the ability to port good ideas from Fedora in to their
business line.

I don't really see a lot of downside, and for the first time in a while
I'm hearing some real positive buzz about RedHat in the community. I'm
kind of excited myself.

It's a very shrewd move by RedHat.

Neil