Re: [tlug] 2.6 kernel (lazy man's question)

On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 11:15:18AM -0400, Scott wrote:
> I haven't looked into this on google, just asking out of idle curiosity.
>
> Since, as my friends know, I need a life. last night at about 1:00 am
> decided to install the 2.6 kernel on Slack. Went in with no problems
> save for a bit of carelessness on my part with my Netgear FA310TX card,
> resulting in the need to add the correct tulip module.
>
> So, feeling ambitious, I then put it in on my Arch distro. Arch uses
> devfs which is marked as obsolete in the 2.6 kernel--they now use devpts.
> (It's under file systems=>miscellaneous)

not quite true. devpts was in 2.4 as well, it is only for devices in
/dev/pts. In 2.6 you need both devfs and devpts (from my own playing).
Although, iirc,  there is a replacement for both of these, which I cant
remember the name of at the moment. You will probably find that your
distro is now using a static /dev/ (apart from /dev/pts/).

> Upon booting, I found that no terminals would open in X.  (Tried rxvt
> and xterm).
>
> A quick look at the Arch forums solved the problem--one has to add to
> /etc/fstab
>
> none    /dev/pts   devpts   default   0  0
>
> I'm just wondering for others using distros with the 2.6 kernel and
> devfs, have they run into the same issue, or is this peculiar to Arch?

Yes, I use devfs on Slackware and found this when I first looked at
2.5.x/2.6.x. The only real other problems I had when moving to 2.6 were
the changes in modutils (not overly well documented as far as I could see)
and the util-linux patch for cryptoloop support. Oh, and synaptic mouse
support needs a new gpm/X module.

Tim.

--
"ergo it is easier to drag sheep downhill" - Applied Ergonomics Magazine
Tim Hurman - Email: kano at kano.org.uk - Phone: Yeah right.