Re: [tlug] System management software?

On Wednesday, October 1, 2003, at 01:53  PM,
patrick.niessen@example.com wrote:
> [ stuff about Symantec/Norton Ghost]
> I've seen this being done manually using Red Hat / WinNT4, and then
> simply
> copying all NT partition files, but it requires a lot of fiddling and
> you
> need a FAT partition.  DD will most likely to a sector to sector copy
> so
> takes really long ...

I've been thinking about Ghost, and it might work, but there's the
annoying bits that I have to have an NT/2k/XP system floating around to
"manage" stuff...

The second bit, doing it with RH and copying the NT partition files,
could work -- it requires fiddling, though, as you point out...  And
"dd" could take forever.  As an option, however, if I go for FAT, I can
use "rsync" to clean things up, instead of "dd":  this would result in
a more "vulnerable" filesystem (no permissions), but more easily
cleaned -- this might result in more frequent maintenance, but likely
more easy.  (If ntfs writes were "safe", things would be much easier --
permissions locks to reduce abuse, and "rsync" to clean up anyway.)  As
an additional bit moving me to "rsync", XP and its ilk should
(hopefully) fit in a 2GB partition, reducing the space we have to
scour...

Also...
On Wednesday, October 1, 2003, at 11:27  PM, Stuart Bouyer wrote:
> You might want to try partimage (http://www.partimage.org/) or g4u
> (http://www.feyrer.de/g4u/), or this link seems to be doing something
> similair to what you want (http://www.cs.inf.ethz.ch/CoPs/patagonia/)

The Patagonia link may prove very useful...  I notice they use System
Commander (a proprietary product) to do booting -- this could likely be
replaced with some interesting config files for GRUB.

Thanks, again, for the input -- now to find some victims, urm, test
systems... =)

Larry Stanbery, RHCE
GPG Key ID: 2CEFA662