Re: [tlug] Mail Server

On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 04:16:33PM +0900, Blomberg David wrote:

> QMails license is much like BSDs except redistrbution is only allowed in
> source code form.  being a lot of people I know abore source code (no
> accounting for the taste of some people) they will not touch QMail with
> a ten foot pole.  Also QMails source must be distyributed (without
> modification) making it where you have to apply the patches for any
> security issues by yourself (so what is what I think but still I see
> some hostility toward QMail for these parts of its license.

Well, being as one of the big benefits of the BSD license is that you can
take any code licensed under it, and include it your own proprietary
software without having to release source at all makes it clear that the
QMail lincense isn't anything at all like the BSD license.

Add to that the fact that you must submit binary distros for approval,
you can not distibute patched versions of the source, and you aren't
allowed even change the default install location, and what have is a
very restrictive license. I pretty sure the license preclude you taking
the source and rolling it into your own codebase, but correct me if I
am mistaken about that.

--Matt